What is the OPEN program?
The Online Professional English Network (OPEN) program offers virtual learning opportunities to foreign English language educators, professionals and learners worldwide. OPEN promotes mutual exchange of culture and provides free access to teaching and learning materials which can be reused, adapted and shared with others. OPEN professional development opportunities are developed by U.S. academic institutions and experts in the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
What virtual learning opportunities does OPEN provide?
- Global Online Courses (GOCs) - 8-week, instructor-led teacher training courses for educators
- Region- and country-specific English for Specific Purposes (ESP) courses
- Facilitated and self-paced Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) for educators and learners
- Openly licensed course materials
- Alumni Community of Practice
How can I participate in the OPEN program?
- GOCs: Please review Program Eligibility and contact the Public Affairs section of your local U.S. Embassy for more information.
- MOOCs: Follow the instructions on our MOOC page to self-enroll.
- Webinars: Review the AE Live Events page and follow the instructions to register.
All courses and webinars feature openly licensed course materials. Participants who complete GOCs and MOOCs for educators will be invited to join the OPEN Community of Practice.
Information for Nominees
If you have already been nominated for the program, you may view the recording of a Webinar for Nominees at this link for more information about registration, the Orientatoin Course, and advice for your professional development course.