English as a Medium of Instruction (EMI) is an online course designed to introduce you to the theory and practice of teaching disciplinary content in English. This course will help you re-develop your existing courses or create new ones that use English as the Medium of Instruction (EMI). Materials include engaging videos, practical readings, and opportunities for collaboration within the course and in your institutions. You will identify challenges that faculty and students encounter in EMI classes, and develop strategies for successfully helping students learn course content while simultaneously building or refining their English skills. In addition, you will gain confidence in teaching in English while you also become more comfortable using pedagogies that are interactive and focus on student learning. Topics include course design, syllabi development, lesson and materials creation, teaching interactively in English, and supporting learning through technology. When you complete the course, you will have a portfolio of materials you can use in your own courses.
Learning Objectives and Learner Outcomes
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- explain the goals, key concepts, challenges, benefits, and current methods in teaching and assessing disciplinary content in English.
- assess your own readiness and comfort with teaching your disciplinary content in English, leading to the creation of your own professional goals.
- identify student needs as they learn disciplinary content in English.
- use effective approaches and techniques appropriate for non-native English speaking students in EMI courses.
- design lessons that support students’ development of English alongside their learning of course content.
- develop or revise a syllabus and assessments for teaching your disciplinary content in English.
- develop yourself professionally in the field of EMI by participating in an international online learning community and preparing an action or training plan to share your new knowledge and skills with other EMI professionals in your local community.